10.06.2007

Just keep bouncing

Where does the time go? Well, let's take a look at the stack of library books sitting here waiting to be read, "Sleep Solutions", "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child", "The Happiest Baby on the Block", "Your Fussy Baby", and for good measure, "Raising A Son."

Now to be fair, the problem (thankfully) isn't in their nighttime sleeping. We've actually progressed to where they'll have a good 5+ hour stretch. In fact Hawthorne went 10 hours one night (okay, that was probably poor judgement on my part when, at 2:30 am feeding Ethan, H. was sound asleep so my foggy brain thought, "well, let's let him sleep and he'll wake us when he's hungry". I confess, when I woke in the morning and realized he hadn't waken me, I had that sick stomach feeling of "oh god, something must be wrong and I'm not sure I can look" only to walk into the nursery and see him happily looking at his mobile.) But back to the point, which is that the boys don't like to nap. Some days they do, but other days they are waaay too interested in what's going on to sleep. They might catnap, but that's about it. Feeling like a negligent mom, I decided that it was time to get serious about this napping business. So, armed with hundreds of pages by leading experts, I figure certainly somewhere in those library books we'll find the magic key that lets them nap and wake up happy and contented babies.

Why do I hear laughing?

But truth be told, and certainly I'm not biased, they are pretty happy little fellas. Hawthorne is laughing and giggling all the time. Except when we actually try to demonstrate how he's laughing and giggling for various guests. Then he just sort of stares vacantly at Todd and I as we make all kinds of cooing noises and funny faces trying to get him going. "Seriously", we say, "this little guy giggles so much we can't even feed him sometimes" as they look at a very serious little baby and then walk away and that's when the little bugger lets the smiles fly.

He really is his father's son.

No comments: