6.05.2008

Just the beginning

When an incident happens involving your child and another child at a licensed daycare facility, they are legally not allowed to disclose any information related to the other child. For example, when your child bites another, all they can say is "your child was bitten by another."

So today when we arrived to pick up the boys, our provider said, "I'm afraid H was involved in an incident. He was bitten by another child." And there were quite the bite marks on his arm to show for it.

I started thinking to myself, "oh great, there's a biter in the group. No telling where this could lead..." when the teacher continued with, "and I'm afraid E was involved in an incident as well." My mind started racing, who is this little Hannibal Lecter taking chunks out of my children. When she finished "He bit another child in class."

Ahhh.

The incident report read, "H was playing with the piano when he was bit by another child who was also trying to play the piano. He received a bite mark on his left forearm, there are purple-colored teeth indents."

Ironically, on the daily activity sheet that says what each child did that day, E's read, "He enjoyed playing the piano today."

Apparently so.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh my God, that's hilarious!

I bet you're right - with two little guys, there are almost definitely many bruises, goose eggs and teeth marks in your future.

Marty b said...

I'm not sure I see the logic in that policy when those involved are siblings, but I come from another world than the one we live in today. PC speak often leaves my head whirling as I try to sort the innuendoes or, in my opinion, double speak that I am barraged with daily. You ought to hear some of the reports I have to sit through at Council meetings.

Having said all that, it is a cute story that you will remember for long and long. You also will gather more along the way as did we even though our boys were eighteen months apart rather than hours apart.

I enjoy your blog, keep it up when you have time.

"Unc Bud"